One of Ms. Ortega’s most noted attributes is her passion for volunteer work and being a strong advocate of civic improvement. As a participant in numerous non-profit organizations, Ms. Ortega strongly believes in giving back to the community. She donates her time, talents and skills by serving as a director on various boards and committees; and leading construction projects, political campaigns, organizing fundraising gala events and golf tournaments.
Ms. Ortega also donates her time and skill in photography to assist these various organizations, as well as with her professional knowledge in real estate, accounting and business management. Ms. Ortega’s background, experience, volunteer efforts and commitment to San Diego and these organizations throughout the years have benefited many people and touched many lives.
As a member of the community, Lupe’s goal is to help others have a better way of life.
Listed below is an extended list of organizations in which Ms. Ortega currently volunteers or has volunteered:
- Holy Cross Church – Outreach Leader – La Posada de Guadalupe Homeless Shelter – serving since 2014
- La Costa HOA – Board President, serving since 2005
- UT Latino Champions Awards – Volunteer of the Year Finalist – 2013
- North County Community Services (NCCS) & North County Food Bank – Board Member/President (2004–2015)
- ArtSplash Carlsbad – Chair & Committee Member (2004 – 2015)
- City of Carlsbad – Citizens Academy Graduate 2011
- Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce – Community Leadership Award Finalist 2010
- Carlsbad Hi-Noon Rotary – Mexico Home Building Project Award 2010
- SBDC – Small Business Development Center Network – Advisory Council (2004 – 2013)
- Duffy for Sheriff of San Diego County Campaign 2010 – San Diego County Volunteer Director
- Matt Hall for Mayor of City of Carlsbad – Campaigns 2010 & 2014
- Farrah Douglas – City of Carlsbad – Campaign 2008
- 2004 Recipient of the KPBS/Union Bank Hispanic Heritage Month Local Heroes Award
- Volunteer San Diego – Board Member (1995 – 2007)
- San Diego County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce – Past Board Member & Scholarship Program Fundraising Chair
- ABA – Asian Business Association – Past Committees’ Member
- KPBS Latinos for Programming Excellence
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Public Works Association (APWA)
- Ron Roberts for Mayor of City of San Diego – Campaign
- Water for People
- KPBS/Union Bank Hispanic Heritage Local Heroes Awards – Panel Judge
- United Way JC Penney Golden Rule Award – Panel Judge
- Alzheimer’s Association
- San Diego High School – School of Science & Tech Council – Governance Board 2004
Ms. Ortega worked very hard to attempt to save the Quonset Huts that existed on the UCSD campus and relocate them to be used as shelter for the homeless and/or farm workers, as per publications noted:
- “Barracks – Quonset Huts.” Union Tribune. San Diego, CA 1994. “There was a possible opportunity to provide shelter for the needy and embarked on a seven-month mission to try and save the UCSD Quonset Huts.”
- “UCSD’s Military Camp Huts.” San Diego Daily Transcript. San Diego, CA 1994. “The search continues to relocate the Quonset Huts.”
Ms. Ortega’s background, experience and commitment to San Diego and these organizations make her an exceptional realtor, Ms. Ortega takes pride in providing honest, accurate, professional and expedient service with high integrity. As a member of the community, her goal is to help others have a better way of life.
Ms. Ortega’s accomplishments in the field of photography were featured in a commercial showing, which exclusively featured Ms. Ortega’s photos for a period of 30 days. Some of these photos were published in Photographer’s Forum – Best Photography Annual 1999. She assisted in the writing and the Spanish translation of PBS’ “The American Family” website, for the television series airing on KPBS, starring Edward James Olmos.
Some of her hobbies include: Photography, Golfing and Skeet & Indoor Shooting.